Sunday, February 5, 2012

5 Things I Learned From A Marathon


I'm up early this morning!  The weather is perfect in sunny So Cal for the Surf City Marathon and Half Marathon and I'm prepping for the big event.  I've layered my clothes, got my phone by my side, an extra large bottle of Powerade and water with me, had a light snack, and I'm mere minutes away from the start of the half marathon...that I'm not participating in.  But one of my dearest friends is running the half marathon this morning, which means more to me than today's Super Bowl event, because she's running it in my honor!  Just  5 months ago I completed my last half marathon, today I can barely complete a mile due to my disabling relapse.

In the last 8 years, I have completed 3 full marathons, and 4 half marathon.  I've walked every one of them since I've never been able to handle running.   Last year alone in my attempt to will myself back to good health, I walked the LA Marathon in the pouring frigid rain (I have an adversarial relationship with that marathon,) and finished 3 half marathons.  Each of the 3 half marathons I completed with a newbie half marathoner  by my side, including my mom who successfully completed her first ever halfer at the ripe age of 79!  2011 was to be the year I got better, if by shear determination alone, and the marathoning was going to get me there.  I was to complete my last half marathon of the year with my dear friend, Betsy,  in October, as it was her first half marathon attempt ever.  But my health started tanking again, another Mayo Clinic visit was on the horizon, and I hadn't been formally diagnosed with POTS and NCS yet, so there were still several unknowns as to why I couldn't get myself right.  My friend went on to complete her goal, as I watched her from the start line...just another cheering face in the crowd.

It's safe to say that pretty much anyone who completes a half or full marathon can attest to the power of personal accomplishment it gives you when it's over.  It's addicting to most who rise to and complete the challenge. I'm no different, it's been my lifeline, coping tool, and sanity saver since I started long distance walking over the last 20 years.  It teaches you so much about yourself, your capabilities and life in general.  Racing in marathons and half marathons has given me five key lessons that help me get through every day, even when I can barely walk around the block.

        #1 Every Accomplishment Starts With The First Step ~  It's so easy to talk yourself out of trying.  Excuses and over thinking can squash a dream in minutes.  Sucking it up, inhaling a deep breath, and taking that first step is all that's needed to overcome your fears and start conquering your goals.

        #2 Listen To Your Body And Make Adjustments As Needed~ Many of us, including myself, are guilty of ignoring our body's signals.  We either avoid what it's telling us, deny that it's yelling at us to take care of it, or spend too much time being afraid of what it might tell us later.  The truth is, you only know what you know right this moment.  In marathon terms, if you have a blister, you can tend to it at the next aid station.  If you have a cramp, you can massage it and work through the pain.  If you have severe chest pains, you have to stop and evaluate it.  Not every physical crisis is an emergency, but your body is always trying to speak to you.  You are your own expert.  Listen to it and act accordingly. 

      #3 Every Challenge, Great or Small, Can Be Broken Down Into Smaller Pieces To Conquer ~ This is a biggie for me!  No matter what size mountain you are facing, they're all made out of smaller pieces of sand or rocks.  Everything can be broken down into bite size manageable bits.  Sometimes it's easier to look at your feet as you move forward then at the long horizon ahead of you.  I'm practicing this lesson at this very moment. 

      #4 Setbacks Can't Break You If You Just Get Up And Try Again~ Frustration, setbacks, the feeling like you aren't making any progress, are all very real in the marathon training world.  Having faith that your consistency and efforts are ultimately giving you strength and focus in the long run, can take you farther than you may realize.  Everyone falls.  It's those of us that get back up over and over again that accomplish their goals, big and small.  I'm practicing this one a lot lately too! 

      #5 No Matter How Slow You Are, You Can Still Finish If You Don't Lose Focus Of Your Goal~ Impatience and feeling like you're the slowest person around can damage your ego and keep you from attaining what you want.  I have spent the majority of my races in close to last place.  BUT, I ALWAYS end up passing many others who either sprinted off without pacing themselves, didn't train properly, or stopped and didn't bother starting back up again.  I am the tortoise in the marathon world, but you know what?!  I still finish and get the same medal that everyone else gets.  You don't have to be the best to be great, you just have to finish!

While my friend is off running along side the beach in my honor this morning, I'm at home pale and weak typing on my blog, but inspired to stay my course, get out of this horrible POTS slump, one day at a time, one step at a time, no matter how many times I fall, or how long it takes.  I don't have to be the best to be great...I just have to finish!  Go get 'em Betsy girl!!  I am by your side in spirit, dear friend!  Long live the Queenies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment