Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Soup of the Day


Soup's on!  Actually, soup's been on for like 10 weeks for me personally, mostly the canned variety.  My POTS symptoms have struck my digestive track hard the last 3 months, slowly whittling my diet down to mostly soft and easy to digest foods.  This is a problem.  This is a BIG problem!   When I eat, the body senses the need to digest the food (that's normal) sending my autonomic nervous system (ANS) into overdrive causing dizziness, increased heart rate, higher blood pressure, facial and neck flushing, light headedness, and eventually an uncontrollable need to pass out until the digestion process is complete (which is decidedly NOT normal.)  In order to survive this process, my intake levels have gone way down and I've naturally navigated to the foods that take 1-2 hours to digest instead of 4-6 hours.  BUT,  I still get hungry, which makes me frustrated, which makes me grumpy, which makes meal time a very sad redundant part of the day for me.  I have eaten more cans of soup the last several weeks than I've probably consumed over the course of my life.  I like soup and all, but it's getting really old lately.  So what's a chronically sick, increasingly weak and frustrated Queenie to do?!  Why post about it on Facebook and blog about it, of course!!

This weekend I posted about my soup rut requesting new suggestions for soup ideas.  I got some amazing responses. Suggestions on restaurants with the best soups, offers to bring me some homemade soups, and lots of great soup recipes from my talented family and friends.  All the sudden I'm swimming in soup!  I've decided to post these soup recipes (with permission) in a special section on this blog because you don't have to be sick to enjoy soup!  Here's why:
  • It's easy to add extra salt too (a POTSy must)
  • It's a great way to add extra veggies and fiber
  • It's comforting
  • It's fluid based (another POTSy must)
  • It's flavorful and diversified
  • It's simple and often quick to make
  • It's often diet friendly
Ok, that's about all the soup cheer leading I can handle.  I've had a lot of soup the last several weeks and I could really use a steak or something.  But that's off point, the real focus here is easy, simple, yet flavorful soup recipes generously shared for all of us to enjoy!  I might not be able to add a new recipe every day because my concentration levels, dizziness and brain fog are at an all time high, but I'll still be eating soup every day until I stabilize and I appreciate those who have shared their favorite recipes to help see me thru this bad flare up.  I'd love to share your favorite soup recipes too!  Please feel free to message me with your family favorites or leave them in the comments section.  Soup's on in the Queeniedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment